Replace Old, Unsafe Wiring, Vaughan

Older homes typically use the “knob and tube” wiring method or aluminum wiring, which are outdated and can be unsafe. We can assess your home for safety and replace old wiring with safer systems.
Request InformationSchedule Service

Replace Old, Unsafe Wiring, Vaughan

Older wiring systems are more likely to cause problems in the future. With how much more advanced technology has become (and will become in the future), it’s more important than ever to ensure that your wiring system is compatible. Larger electrical loads means that outdated wiring just won’t cut it. Statistics show that hundreds of house fires per year are caused by faulty electrical distribution equipment (including wiring and outlets). This results in significant residential structural loss, and in most cases, could have been prevented by upgrades or routine maintenance. Don’t take the risk and replace your old, unsafe wiring.

Aluminum wiring in particular was a kind of wiring popularized in the 1960s and 1970s that is still present in some homes today. Used back when copper prices were still relatively expensive, aluminum was favoured for its malleability and lightweight properties, making it easy to work with. Over time, however, it was determined to be more of a safety hazard than anticipated. Due to its softness, aluminum wiring tends to fray and can easily loosen from terminals, making regular maintenance and inspection a requirement.

Today, copper wiring is considered to be the best kind of wiring to replace old, unsafe wiring. Known for its excellent electrical conductivity and high tensile strength, copper wiring is preferred by electrical experts, with newer homes today constructed with copper wiring and older homes upgrading to it. It is the first choice of modern homeowners for safety, performance, and cost efficiency.

The cost of wiring upgrades can vary depending on the age of your home and the time of the last upgrade, but for many homeowners, the investment is worth the benefit of an enhanced lifestyle, comfort and ease of mind, as well as the long-term advantage of increasing the re-sale value of their home. Especially if you have the documentation showing that your home has had significant renovations and upgrades, your home is likely to be appraised as worth much more.

Contact MADE ELECTRIC for more information on replacing old, unsafe wiring! We operate within the GTA to assess the safety of your home and ensure that it’s operating with the safest possible wiring system.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What makes old wiring unsafe and why should it be replaced?

Old wiring is unsafe for many reasons, but one of the most obvious is the compounding damage that comes naturally with aging. The more that time has passed, the more likely (depending on the type of wiring in your home) it is that it has worn down, frayed, or become looser. Especially with knob and tube wiring which was designed to be wrapped in a rubberized cloth, this insulation can become brittle and fall off, leaving the wires exposed and creating a shock and fire hazard.

Along with older wiring systems being unable to handle larger electrical loads, future renovations without wiring upgrades can be dangerous. Adding insulation along wall cavities, for example, can lead to knob and tube wiring overheating, which is a major fire risk. There are just too many risks associated with outdated wiring that homeowners are better off upgrading, whether by choice or as required by law.

Do you work with replacing or removing knob and tube wiring?

We offer services in removing knob and tube wiring from the home, as well as any wiring upgrades that will be needed afterwards. Although in older homes there may be no signs of knob and tube wiring in the basement or attic, it’s not uncommon for the wiring to have been hidden behind the walls by previous homeowners for insurance purposes or to ensure that the home was sold more easily. In these cases, the only way to confirm its presence is by having a licensed electrician send a camera through the walls.

The wiring in my home was done by an unlicensed individual. Is this dangerous and should it be replaced?

Work that is done by unlicensed individuals should be inspected as soon as possible. Since wiring is often thought of as a simple and accessible system, homeowners may be tempted to save money by doing the work themselves, but this can increase the risk of improper connections and wiring splices, which can cause short-circuiting. Faulty wiring is one of the top causes of house fires. Hiring a professional will save you money in the long-run and ensure that it’s being done right the first time.

Recent Posts