Electronics are expensive. Protect yours with whole house surge protection.
Request InformationSchedule Service
Whole House Surge Protection, Oakville
Whole House Surge Protection, Oakville
The circuitry and microprocessing systems of electronic appliances are extremely sensitive to sudden voltage changes, including power surges caused by aging infrastructure and severe weather. It is especially common for older homes to have outdated or poor wiring, increasing the likelihood of power surges. These electrical currents have the potential to cause damage to your appliances over time, and the cost of having to replace them can add up. This is why whole house surge protection is important in today’s modern world, since even the oldest refrigerators or microwaves rely on a safe and effective electrical connection to function.
Whole house surge protection guards the appliances in your home against the larger power surges coming from the electrical grid. When called to install whole house surge protection, a licensed electrician will install a device at the side of your home’s breaker panel, situated between the meter and breaker box inside of your home. This device will act as a protection barrier between the power lines outside and your home’s electrical meter, instantly blocking surges from entering into your home’s circuitry and providing lightning protection, which will guard your property against the risk of fires.
Whole house surge protection re-directs about 85% of excess energy into the ground, enough to prevent disasters to keep you and your family safe. But what about the other 15% of excess voltage that could leak by? Whole house surge protection tames the larger and very dangerous spikes of power, but since they can’t stop surges in their entirety, it is highly recommended after having whole house surge protection installed to also invest in good circuit protectors to add an extra layer of protection for your individual devices and appliances.
The three kinds of circuit protectors are plug-ins that include:
1.) Multi-outlet power strips
These are the familiar power strips, often with switches or indicator lights, that offer point-of-use surge suppression, keeping electronic devices (such as home entertainment technology) safe. Plug-ins should meet UL standard (indicated by a UL symbol somewhere on the product).
2.) Surge stations
Surge stations protect power cords, allowing devices to be plugged into it. They also contain phone/cable jacks to protect phone lines and electrical cables.
3.) Uninterruptible power supply (UPS)
In addition to containing sudden fluctuations of electrical power, the UPS is an electrical apparatus that provides temporary battery backup in case of blackouts.
Having both whole house surge protection and circuit protectors is important to keep your home safe. The function of these surge suppressors is to ground excess power by diverting it into the ground, and a two-layered approach should be taken for the ultimate security.
You pay too much on your mortgage to risk it. Appliances and electronics are expensive, so investing in a whole house surge protector will practically pay for itself as you save money in the long run. To protect your home and your property, have a whole house surge protector installed.
Contact MADE ELECTRIC for more information, to learn more about essential surge protection, and to inquire about having a whole house surge protector installed in your home!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where can I buy circuit protectors?
What about the devices that can’t be protected by circuit protectors?
In some instances, circuit protectors are not an option, such as in the case of mounted televisions, since the power outlet will be covered by the actual device. In these kinds of instances, you can have a licensed electrician replace the regular outlet with a surge protection outlet. This surge protection outlet should have an LED to indicate that it is still working, but should also have an alarm to let owners know when the surge protection is no longer working (since it can’t always be seen). The replacement should be done by a licensed electrician, who can take the proper precautions before working with the wiring.
At other times, appliances might be wired into the home, which is why whole house surge protection is also crucial to have to lessen the burden of electrical surges.
How long will whole house surge protection last?
As long as the LED lights on the whole house surge protection devices remain green and on, your house will be protected. The device is designed to constantly monitor incoming electrical energy, and in the case that the device or the battery needs to be replaced, a licensed electrician should be called to the site.