Whole House Surge Protection, Brampton

Electronics are expensive. Protect yours with whole house surge protection.
Request InformationSchedule Service

Whole House Surge Protection, Brampton

Power surges have many causes and the most unexpected surges could have devastating consequences. Surges have the ability to fry the circuit boards of sensitive electronics, and with the potential for large surges to start house fires and cause serious damage to your property, allowing these surges to reach your home may be too much to risk. Whole house surge protection is the solution to keep you and your family safe.

Lightning is one of the main exterior causes of power surges. A jolt worth 200,000 amps of energy traveling through your home’s internal wiring is more than enough to destroy your appliances and the integrity of your home. It is notable that the average number of days with lightning in Brampton is 39.6 days out of the year, making the risk of house fires and property damage a very real possibility. Lightning strikes (although directly hitting the home is an undoubtable hazard) can cause damage as well just by hitting nearby power lines or the ground near utilities, as the energy can travel through cables and reach your home.

Having a licensed electrician install a whole house surge protection device is therefore crucial. With this device, the threat your home and your electronic devices will be significantly reduced. Replacing entire units when they are damaged can add up, so whole house surge protection is a necessary investment. The increasing frequency of severe weather is more than enough of a reason, as snow storms in Brampton have resulted in more blackouts per year. The surges caused by restored power are often big and create strain on the electrical grid. Guarding against these surges is equally as important.

Surge protectors function by blocking excess energy from entering the home and re-directing it into the ground. These whole house surge protection devices will be installed at the home’s electrical panel, where it will be hardwired to prevent voltage from bypassing the main breaker panel and burning through the home’s wiring.

You pay too much on your mortgage to risk it. Appliances and electronics are expensive, so investing in a whole house surge protector will practically pay for itself as you save money in the long run. To protect your home and your property, have a whole house surge protector installed.

Contact MADE ELECTRIC for more information, to learn more about essential surge protection, and to inquire about having a whole house surge protector installed in your home!

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

How much will it cost to have my home completely guarded against electrical surges?

This may depend on the degree of surge protection already in your home. An inspection may need to be done before the cost is determined as per the usual process of home upgrades. In addition to having whole house surge protection devices installed, individual devices may need separate protection as well. Not to worry, as you can contact MADE ELECTRIC today to have us arrange an inspection for you. Our electricians are happy to assist you through the process.

Will whole house surge protection guard against all surges?

Whole house surge protection will guard against around 85% of larger surges, reducing a huge amount of the excess voltage and preventing it from entering your home. For the remaining 15%, point-of-use protection should be used. These includes plug-ins with surge protection, which will protect the individual devices connected to it. For cases where plug-ins are not an option, outlets can be replaced by a licensed electrician with those that have surge protection.

What should I look for in point-of-use surge protection?

Point-of-use surge protections, or plug-ins/power strips, should meet UL standard (indicated by the familiar UL sticker on the product). It should also have indicator lights to show that it is still working, and product’s spec sheet should indicate that it protects all 3 incoming lines — hot, neutral, and ground. It should read “L-N, L-G, N-G” somewhere on either the packaging or the product sheet, which stands for ‘line to neutral, line to ground, neutral to ground’.

After whole house surge protection is installed, a MADE ELECTRIC electrician can make recommendations for the most effective products on the market.

Recent Posts