The electrical service and panels are responsible for ensuring enough electricity reaches all your devices. A panel upgrade will increase the safety of your home.
Service and Panel Upgrade, Mississauga
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much is considered over-capacity and how can I check my home’s current capacity?
In general, your electrical usage should not be exceeding 80% of your current capacity. The remaining 20% will likely be taken up by lighting or the already existing appliances in your home.
To check your electrical panel’s current capacity, take a look at it by opening it up. The panel should usually be situated in the garage or the laundry room of your home. There should be one circuit breaker that looks noticeably larger than the rest, marked with an amperage amount. Amps measure how much electricity can safely flow through a circuit.
A load calculation can then be used to compare the capacity of the electrical panel and the current demand of your use.
How do I upgrade my electrical panel?
Electrical panel upgrades should be done by licensed electricians, since it can often be too large and overwhelming of a task for any one individual. Not only are they fully qualified in working with electricity, but they can also provide you with the necessary support in beginning and ending the process. This can involve co-ordinating with your hydro provider to shut off the power before the upgrade can begin, as well as arranging for an inspector to check the work afterwards to ensure that the upgrade has been done correctly and safely.
MADE ELECTRIC is happy to help you through the daunting task of beginning your electrical upgrades.
How are load/demand calculations done?
Amp measurements don’t always correspond with the size of a property, so having a proper load calculation done is important. Load calculations can be completed by a licensed electrician according to the standards of the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC). This code details the electrical demand requirements of a residence or a commercial business. Section 8, Circuit Loading and Demand Factors of the CEC in particular details how what size service you may need is measured based on factors including the size of a property, as well as existing appliances, air conditioning, water heaters, vehicle charging units, and etc.